Dhurata Davies Maxine dress

I love a simple pattern with interesting details, and this is exactly how I saw this pattern from Dhurata Davies. It’s a fairly simple tunic/shift dress, but with really interesting lines. There is a cross feature on the front (my seamlines could not match more perfectly), and pockets along the lower seam line. Very clever. It reminds me a bit of the Papercut patterns Sapporo coat which has similar pockets.

This pattern comes as a short sleeve dress, but there is also a sleeved sweatshirt version which is available either on its own or as a bundle with the dress, so you could easily make a long sleeved dress. I didn’t see the bundle until after I had bought the dress, I was thinking about using a sleeve from another pattern, but then Dhurata shared a photo of herself with a short sleeved Maxine dress with a long sleeved top underneath, so I decided that I’d just copy her. Its also really versatile as it can be made in knit or woven fabric.
I had this pink ponte in my stash from when Girl Charlee had a uk closing down sale. It was a bit pinker than I imagined, it’s now slightly more muted than it was originally after I pre washed it with some dark fabric that bled onto it!
I enjoyed making this. I made a size 14, and was surprised and amazed that my centre front seamline matched perfectly at the front cross.

I didn’t overlock anything as a lot of the seams were pressed open. It came together fairly quickly, once you get the front piece constructed, it goes together like a normal jersey dress. The sleeve piece is symmetrical and cut on the fold. I find it easier to cut smaller pieces on the flat, so I traced it (onto our lightweight paper) so that I could do this. I think that the top front panel is also a ‘cut on fold’ piece, and again, I traced it to cut on the flat. Just personal preference. Of course the good thing about pieces to cut on the fold is that they take up less room on the paper. This pattern is only 1 A0 page.
When I tried it on at first, my 16 year old said that it looked like a pink bin bag. It was quite large and loose. I therefore took a reasonable chunk out of the side seams, and I think that might have slightly spoiled how the pockets sit.
But overall I really like the effect, and it is a good use of some overly pink fabric, which looks far better as a garment than sitting on my shelf! I think I will make it again.

Leave a Reply